Bionic arm – level 2
Scottish hotel owner Campbel Aird got the world’s first bionic arm in 1998. The arm weighed 1.8 kilograms, and it used a battery. With the new hand, Aird could do some things which he was not able to do before, for example, tie his shoes.
Since that time, the technology changed very much and changed people’s lives too. People with the new arm became more independent because they did not need the help of others with some simple tasks. Their lives improved greatly, and they could play games or ride bikes.
Nowadays, a bionic arm reads signals from a person’s muscles. Special sensors detect electric signals which a person’s limb naturally makes. Scientists believe that next year people will be able to control the bionic arm only by the mind.
Difficult words: bionic arm (a mechanical arm which works as much as a real arm as possible), detect (to notice that something exists), limb (an arm or leg).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos