Bionic arm – level 3
In August 1998, Scottish hotel owner Campbel Aird received the world’s first bionic arm. The 1.8-kilogram battery-powered device enabled the man to tie his shoelaces again.
Since then, the technology rapidly evolved, giving people a lot of hope and independence. 11-year-old John became the youngest person in Australia to receive an advanced multi-grip bionic arm, made from 3D printing. He could use his hand to do things that he couldn’t have done without it, such as playing chess. Mady Gardner rode a bike for the first time, sitting straight up, and her parents watched her with joy. 11-year-old Bella Tadlock received an R2-D2-style bionic arm, and she was excited to be able to use her fingers again.
A bionic arm works by picking up signals from a person’s muscles. When the person puts on his bionic arm and moves muscles in their residual limb just below the elbow, special sensors detect tiny naturally created electric signals. This cutting-edge technology is still evolving, and within the next year, amputees could be able to control their bionic arms with their thoughts.
Difficult words: residual (remaining after a great part is gone), cutting-edge (the latest or most advanced stage in the development of something), amputee (a person whose limb was surgically removed).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.