Birch sap – level 3
Birch sap is the sap directly tapped from birch trees, and it may be consumed both fresh and naturally fermented.
When fresh, it’s a clear and uncolored liquid, often slightly sweet with a slightly silky texture. After two to three days, the sap starts fermenting and the taste becomes more acidic.
Many Latvians annually tap birches for their sap during a short season lasting for only a few weeks. To make the collection of the sap more convenient, a team of developers designed internet-connected containers which alert users when they’re full. Many Latvians ascribe healing powers to birch sap, even though experts say that the vitamin and mineral content is low. According to a survey, most people tap birches because their grandparents and parents did it and they’ve been tapping birch sap from an early age, often using the same tree.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.