Bird flu in the US – level 2
In recent months, there were many cases of bird flu in Europe and Asia. Now, it has spread to the US, too.
Health officials found the flu at a turkey farm in Indiana, and some countries have already stopped buying poultry from the state. The flu spread also to Kentucky and Virginia, where farmers tried to stop it. They were afraid that the situation could be as bad as in 2015. That year, bird flu killed 50 million birds in 15 US states.
Migratory birds often spread the disease which causes bird flu, but the flu isn’t very dangerous for them. When the flu gets to domestic birds, it changes and is very dangerous.
Difficult words: poultry (the meat of chickens, turkeys, and other birds), migratory (an animal which travels from one place to another, usually because of weather), domestic (an animal which people keep at home or on a farm).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos