Bird flu in the US – level 3
A strain of influenza has spread in Kentucky and Virginia, US; it is deadly to chickens and other fowl. Farms hope they’ll avoid an outbreak similar to the one in 2015 that killed 50 million birds across 15 US states.
The virus was spreading for months in Europe and Asia, and people found it in wild birds in Canada before health officials found an outbreak at a turkey farm in Indiana, US. Wild birds often carry strains of influenza; however, they usually don’t get sick. Those strains get easily into farm birds, and they mutate into more deadly viruses.
If the virus spreads more, egg, turkey, and chicken prices will likely rise, and the availability of these products will drop. Mexico is among the countries that already banned or limited poultry purchases from Indiana after officials found the virus there.
Difficult words: strain of influenza (a variety of a common sickness), fowl (a bird that people eat as food, for example, a hen or duck), mutate (to develop a new form).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos