Bird flu kills seals and sea lions – level 2
In southern Brazil, officials found 522 dead seals and sea lions on the coastline, and they believe that bird flu is responsible for this.
In May, Brazil declared a health emergency for animals because they found bird flu in wild birds. Last month, they also found it in marine mammals in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. Brazil is the biggest exporter of chickens globally, but they did not have bird flu in domesticated birds or commercial poultry. The dead seals and sea lions were in different places along the coast, even near the border with Uruguay, where officials also found dead seals and sea lions because of bird flu. Peru, Chile, and Argentina reported similar cases in sea animals.
Officials say that it is still safe to each chicken or eggs from Brazil because bird flu is not in these animals.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps is the government of Brazil taking to make sure that domesticated birds and commercial poultry remain safe from bird flu?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.