Birds clean streets – level 1
Smokers often throw cigarette butts on the ground. Many cities have problems with cigarette butts. They are everywhere. Cities must clean the litter. It costs a lot of money. A Swedish city spends 2.2 million dollars every year on cleaning its streets.
A Swedish company has an idea. Birds will clean the streets. It will save 75% of the money. The company makes a special box. Birds put cigarette butts inside. They get some food.
The birds are crows. They are very clever. They learn from each other. They understand how to clean the streets. The best idea is still not to throw cigarette butts on the ground.
Difficult words: cigarette butt (the part of a cigarette that you throw away when you finish smoking), litter (pieces of paper, plastic, or other trash which are on the ground in public places), crow (a big black bird which makes a loud sound).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.