Birds clean streets – level 3
Officials of a Swedish city are hiring birds to pick up discarded cigarette butts from the streets. They estimated that people leave more than 1 billion cigarette butts on Sweden’s streets each year, which is about 62% of all litter.
The Swedish city of Södertälje spends around 2.2 million dollars on street cleaning. A company designed a bespoke machine where wild birds put cigarette butts, and its goal is to save at least 75% of costs to pick up litter in the city. Crows pick up the litter, they put it in the machine, and they receive a little food for every cigarette butt.
The birds do this because they want to; however, crows are as good at reasoning as a human seven-year-old, and that makes them the smartest bird for the job. They are easier to teach than other birds, and there’s also a higher chance that they learn from each other. At the same time, there is a lower risk of them mistakenly eating any litter.
Difficult words: discard (to throw away), bespoke (made for a particular customer or use), reasoning (thinking about something in a logical and sensible way).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos