Black Friday protests – level 2
On Black Friday, people protested before Amazon warehouses in the UK. They wanted to stop the company’s deliveries on its busiest day of the year.
Protesters did not agree with Amazon’s power, and they said that Amazon’s business was not fair to other companies. Some people said that Amazon workers worked very long hours, and their bosses watched them all the time. Reports said that more workers had health problems before Black Friday than was usual on other days.
Amazon’s profit was three times higher this year than last year, and the reason was that many people bought things on the Internet. Many shops were closed and people stayed at home during the coronavirus. Protesters were very angry. They said that Amazon should pay its workers more.
Difficult words: warehouse (a large building where a company stores things before it sells them), delivery (a thing which gets from a company to the person who buys it), profit (the money which a company gets by doing business after it pays all costs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.