Black water in a fountain – level 3
Footage captured the moment climate activists poured a black liquid into a 17th-century Barcaccia fountain in Rome, Italy.
The activists from the Last Generation group ‘Ultima Generaziona’ said they had chosen a fountain to highlight the dangers that global warming poses to water supply and sea levels. They dyed the famous Spanish Steps fountain black with a vegetable-based liquid to protest against climate change inaction. In a tweet, the group said that it was absurd that such a gesture should shock people when the world was experiencing a drought emergency that was putting agriculture and energy production in crisis.
The three men and a woman were removed by the police, put into custody, and they are facing charges of defacing a public monument and entering the fountain. Rome’s mayor Roberto Gualtieri visited the fountain designed by Pietro Bernini in 1629, and he said that Rome was at the forefront of the fight against climate change and the protection of the artistic heritage.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What action did Last Generation group ‘Ultima Generaziona’ take to highlight the dangers of global warming, and why?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.