Blind Runner – level 3
Thomas Panek is the 49-year-old president and CEO of Guiding Eyes for the Blind, which is a non-profit guide dog training school. Panek’s philosophy on running is simple. If you love the sport, do not let anything stop you from doing it.
This motto pushed Panek to finish more than 20 marathons; however, he has taken this philosophy even farther. Panek started working with Google and software engineers, and they came up with a concept that enables a blind person to run independently.
They tested the technology in Central Park in New York City along a line that was temporarily painted there. Panek completed a solo 5-kilometer run using a smartphone, a pair of headphones, and Google’s program called Guideline. AI-based Guideline uses a library of images to guide a runner on his course. The app can also tell the runner’s positioning and provide directions.
Difficult words: philosophy (a set of ideas), motto (a short sentence or phrase that expresses the beliefs of a person or group of people), concept (a general idea), AI (artificial intelligence, a computer technology that allows something to be done in a way that is similar to the way that a human would do it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos