Boat goes down – level 1
This happens in the Mediterranean Sea. A boat is sailing to Europe. There are 700 migrants on the boat.
A rescue boat approaches it. People start to move. The boat is not big enough for them. The boat turns over. It is a fishing boat. It can only hold 30 to 50 people, not 700 people.
Twenty-five people die. Rescue people save 400 people.
Difficult words: sail (when a boat moves in the water with a sail – a big cloth that moves the boat), rescue boat (a boat which saves people), approach (to come).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about immigration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.