Boeing on fire – level 3
Passengers on board this Singapore Airlines flight had a lucky escape this morning after the aircraft’s right engine caught fire. The Boeing 777 bound for Milan turned back to Singapore’s Changi Airport two hours into the flight after the pilot received an engine oil-warning message.
Shortly after landing, the engine caught fire and the scene was captured on video and shared on social media. Remarkably, none of the 222 passengers and 19 crew on board were injured. The airline says all were safely evacuated and taken to the airport
terminal by bus.
Singapore Airlines is rated among the safest airlines in the world and hasn’t had a major incident in recent years. The pilot has been praised for turning back when the problem was detected then dumping fuel and landing safely.
Difficult words: bound (going to), praise (say that somebody did something well), detect (find out about something), dump (drop something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos