Bomb in Somalia – level 3
At least 230 people died and hundreds more were injured after a truck packed with explosives detonated near the entrance to a hotel on a busy street in Somalia’s capital of Mogadishu.
People are blaming the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab extremist group for the deadliest single attack ever in the Horn of Africa nation. Al-Shabab, which often targets high-profile areas of the city, has yet to comment. The country’s president has declared three days of mourning.
Difficult words: detonate (explode), blame (say that somebody did something bad), Horn of Africa (the area on the eastern side of Africa that is shaped like a horn), declare (officially say something), mourning (showing sadness).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.