Bombing in Pakistan – level 2
A bomb exploded in a market in western Pakistan last Friday. At least 20 people died and many more were injured.
A large community of Hazaras live in the city where the bombing took place. Hazaras are a Shia Muslim minority. Soldiers and police escort them to the market each day, and there were guards when the bomb exploded. At least seven Hazaras and one soldier died in the attack.
According to CNN, a Sunni militant group claimed responsibility for the bombing.
Difficult words: minority (a group of people who are somehow different from most people in a place; usually, some people do not like some minorities), escort (come with to protect), claim responsibility (say that you did something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos