Bombing in Pakistan – level 3
A bomb went off in a market in western Pakistan last Friday, killing at least 20 and injuring many more. The country’s prime minister called the bombing a terrorist attack and condemned it. The bombing took place in the city of Quetta.
Among the dead are at least seven Hazaras and one paramilitary soldier – the city is home to a large community of Hazaras, a Shia Muslim minority. According to CNN, a Sunni militant group claimed responsibility for the bombing.
Quetta’s police chief said that security forces escort members of the Hazaras community to the market each day and that paramilitary soldiers and police were patrolling the area when the bomb exploded. The Pakistani prime minister called for additional security in the city.
Difficult words: condemn (say that something is terrible), escort (come with to protect), patrol (watch to make safe).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos