Bombing in Yemen – level 3
The horrific moment a suicide bomb attack in Yemen is captured on CCTV.
At least 47 people were killed, including four children, when a suicide bomber detonated a belt packed with explosives in the centre of the capital Sanaa.
The blast struck as hundreds of people were arriving for a demonstration called by the Houthis.
They have rejected the president’s candidate to lead the new government, which is meant to be formed as part of a deal that brought an end to the deadly fighting between the Houthis and government forces.
CCTV footage shows the attacker sneaking into the crowd of protesters and then igniting the explosive device.
It was the deadliest bombing in the capital since May 2012.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, but the incident mirrored previous bombings carried out by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
Difficult words: CCTV (security camera), detonate (explode), blast (explosion), sneak (move and try not to be seen), ignite (light up), claim (a statement about something), mirror (copy), peninsula (a piece of land which is almost surrounded by water).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.