Bombings in Sri Lanka – level 3
On Sunday morning, at least eight explosions in Sri Lanka killed more than 300 people and injured 500.
Both locals and foreigners fell victim to the bombings which mark the country’s worst violence since the end of the Sri Lankan Civil War in 2009.
Sri Lankan officials previously accused a local Islamist militant group, but now people believe that multiple organisations are behind the deadly bombings. ISIS claimed responsibility for the bombings via its Amaq news agency, but it did not provide any evidence. Sri Lanka’s defence minister said that the explosions might have been in retaliation for the shootings at two mosques in New Zealand last month.
According to the Associated Press, the Sri Lankan security agencies had warning that a local group was planning a suicide attack, but we do not yet know what steps they took to prevent the attacks.
Difficult words: accuse (say that somebody did something wrong), evidence (proof, something which shows that something is true), retaliation (revenge).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos