Boston Marathon bomber case – level 2
In 2013, Dzokhar Tsarnaev and his brother Tamerlan exploded bombs at the Boston Marathon.
The attack killed three people, and it injured more than 260 people. Police killed Tamerlan shortly after the attack, and 28-year-old Dzokhar went to prison.
In 2015, the man received a death sentence, but not all people agreed with it. It was also a difficult situation for the US President Joe Biden who didn’t really support the death sentence. He placed a moratorium on the death sentence, which meant that it wasn’t possible to execute anyone.
Last week, a court restarted the penalty, but because of the moratorium, it wasn’t clear when it would happen.
Difficult words: death sentence (killing a person who did something very bad), moratorium (an official ban of something), execute (to legally kill someone who did something bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos