Boston Marathon Bomber – level 1
The Boston Marathon is the world’s largest marathon. Every year, 20,000 runners take part.
It happens in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. On 15 April 2013, a bombing attack happens during the Boston Marathon. Two bombs explode near the finish line.
Two brothers prepare the attack. They use pressure cookers as bombs. The bombs kill three people. Hundreds of people are hurt.
The brothers want to run away. Police kill one of them. However, the second man runs away. The police find him four days later. The man goes to prison. In 2018, a court sentences the man to death.
Last week, a court decides that the sentence is not right. It is possible that some jurors are not fair. It is necessary to decide again. However, the court agrees with the first sentence.
Difficult words: pressure cooker (a special pot that uses steam to cook something quickly), sentence (the court’s decision about a person who does something bad), sentence (then a court decides about a person who does something bad), juror (a person from public who helps decide in a court)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.