Bottles become sand – level 3
24-year-old Franziska Trautman is called the sand girl on TikTok because she’s trying to restore Louisiana’s eroding coastline with glass sand.
Franziska was disappointed with the lack of glass recycling facilities in her state, so she co-founded the first and only facility in Louisiana, US.
She realized that glass can be changed into sand, and the glass could help with the coastal erosion crisis. Franziska and her friend launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise money to purchase their first glass recycling machine. So far, the facility has diverted almost one million kilograms of glass from landfills into sand. Machines crush the glass and take out the labels, metal pieces, and the non-glass particles. The result is a mixture of glass, sand, and gravel which she uses for disaster relief sandbags, coastal restoration, or flooring.
After water, sand is the second globally exploited resource, and people use it at twice the rate that nature creates it.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.