Boxing legend Muhammad Ali dies – level 2
At the age of 22, an African American man named Cassius Clay became the heavyweight champion of the world after he won an important boxing match. He then converted to the religion of Islam and changed his name to Muhammed Ali.
He became very famous for winning his boxing matches and for his politics. When America was at war in Vietnam, he refused to be part of it due to his religion. When America had segregation, he fought for equality of African Americans.
Repeated head trauma made Muhammed Ali sick, so he helped people later in life. He died at age 74.
Difficult words: convert (to change), refuse (to say you will you not do something), segregation (when people keep different types of people apart), trauma (when something hurts you).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.