Boy and a planet – level 1
This news is about a teenager. He is from Great Britain. He is fifteen years old. He helps at a university. He studies data.
This data is from cameras. These cameras pick up light. The light comes from distant stars. Sometimes, a planet is in front of the stars. When there’s a planet, the light changes.
The boy sees this in the data. He finds a planet like this. Experts say that he is right. His planet is 1,000 light years away. It does not have a name yet.
The boy plans to study physics.
Difficult words: data (information), pick up (to catch; to know when there is or isn’t light), distant (very far away).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the planet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.