Boy and a planet – level 2
A British teenager was helping out at a university. He was studying data from cameras which are in South Africa.
These cameras pick up light from distant stars. Sometimes, planets pass in front of the stars and the intensity of the light decreases. The 15-year-old discovered a planet like this.
Scientists now know for sure that the planet exists. It is located about 1,000 light years away, and it is waiting to be named.
When he finishes school, the teen plans to study physics at university.
Difficult words: distant (very far away), intensity (how powerful something is), decrease (to become less).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the planet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.