Boy has new hands – level 2
Doctors had to amputate the arms and feet of an American boy. He was two years old and had a serious bacterial infection.
With prosthetic legs, he is able to walk, run and jump.
Now, he underwent an eleven-hour operation, and he became the youngest person to receive a double hand transplant.
He has weeks of therapy ahead, but soon he will be able to pick up small objects. The boy’s immune system will have to be suppressed so his body does not reject the hands.
Difficult words: amputate (to cut off), prosthetic (a part of your body that is not natural), supress (to make weaker).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this boy’s new hands?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.