Boy Hits a Painting – level 3
A trip to the art museum could have turned into a very costly trip for one child in Taiwan when he lost his balance and put his hand through a painting worth around $1.5 million.
“Flowers” by Italian master Paolo Porpora was part of a Taipei exhibition of artwork by or influenced by Leonardo da Vinci. Organisers did not believe that the boy intentionally vandalised the oil painting, saying that it was obvious that he did not mean to push it.
The exhibition organisers decided not to charge the boy for the damage and said that the painting could be easily restored. However, this made them reconsider displaying valuable paintings in the open.
Difficult words: intentionally (on purpose), restore (fix to original condition), in the open (close to where people are).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about the accident with the painting?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos