Boy in Aleppo – level 3
Wiping the blood from his face, five-year-old Omran Daqneesh trying to work out what has happened. Another casualty of the war in Syria.
He was pulled from the rubble in Aleppo after his home was targeted by air strikes. Somehow he survived, but at what cost? His hair matted with the dust from his home, his face caked in his own blood. He’s left alone in the ambulance. There’s no one to hold his hand here. And he doesn’t even cry. He just pats his little face, brushing his blood next to him.
At least three people were killed last night in the attack on the rebel-held neighbourhood in the east of the city. Several others were badly injured. This, though, the face of a boy who is supposedly one of the lucky ones.
Difficult words: rubble (pieces of a broken building), matted (mixed together with something like mud), caked (covered), pat (touch quickly with hand), supposedly (according to what people say).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos