Boy “sees” with sound – level 2
This news is about a six-year-old blind boy. His parents took him to a man who teaches him echolocation.
Echolocation is the use of reflected sound. You can make a special sound with your tongue, and the sound travels through the air. When it hits something, it bounces back. The person hears the sound and knows that there is something there.
After only 10 minutes of teaching time, the boy could “see” objects with sound. He will be able to go to school without his parents and have a more normal life.
Difficult words: blind (somebody who is blind cannot see), reflected (when a sound comes back to you), bounce (to move quickly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Amazing, isn’t it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.