Boy survives a cold flight – level 3
A teenage boy had a lucky escape after he ran away from home and survived a five-hour flight hiding in the wheel of a jetliner.
The 16 year-old stowaway lost consciousness, as the flight from California to Hawaii reached 38,000 feet (11.5 kilometres), and freezing temperatures sank to minus 80 degrees.
About an hour after he landed in Hawaii, he regained consciousness and was spotted by airline crew wandering around the airport grounds.
“First and foremost, you know, our concern is with him and with his family. He is a very lucky boy today. At this point, we continue to review video surveillance, and I don’t have any specific details on that right now. Our staff continues to review that with federal officials, but certainly video surveillance is part of our airport security program here at San Jose airport.”
The teen was turned over to local child protection officials and medical examinations show he was unharmed.
Difficult words: stowaway (somebody who hides on a vehicle to travel secretly), consciousness (when you are awake and OK), spot (see), wander (walk), foremost (most importantly), concern (feeling of worry), video surveillance (video camera footage), unharmed (not hurt).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.