Bradley Cooper’s nose – level 1
Bradley Cooper makes a film about Leonard Bernstein. Bernstein is a famous American musician. He writes classical music and musicals, for example, ‘West Side Story’.
Bernstein’s parents are Jewish. They immigrate to the United States. Bradley Cooper plays Bernstein in the film. Kazu Hiro is the makeup artist of the film. He makes a fake nose for Cooper. He wants to make Bernstein look realistic.
The trailer comes out. But some people do not like the nose. They have bad feelings about it. They say that the nose supports stereotypes about Jewish people. Hiro says that he is sorry that some people feel bad. The film about Bernstein’s life will be on Netflix on Dec. 20.
Difficult words: makeup artist (a person whose job is to apply cosmetics on actors or models), trailer (extracts from a film which people can see before they see the film itself), stereotype (what many people think about a person or thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the reaction from fans of Leonard Bernstein to Bradley Cooper's portrayal of him?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.