Brazilian Migrants – level 2
Last year, the US administration started a new program that deals with migrants. This program says that all migrants must wait in Mexico for their immigration hearing.
Now, Brazilian migrants must follow this rule, too. It is the first time that the rule applies to non-Spanish speakers.
There are many Brazilian migrants. Last year, the number of people was three times higher than the year before. There are around 60,000 migrants at the border with Mexico who wait for their immigration hearing.
Some human rights organizations criticize the new rule. They say that it is very dangerous for the migrants to stay in Mexico because there is a lot of violence.
Difficult words: immigration hearing (a process when a migrant must explain why he or she wants to go to a country, and officials decide if the person can do it), apply (to relate), human rights organization (an organization that helps people who live in dangerous or poor countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.