Brazilian woman in danger – level 1
This news is from Brasilia. Brasilia is the capital city of Brazil. A man grabs a woman. It happens outside of a government building. He holds two knives to her neck. There is a car behind him. His back is protected.
Police try to talk to him. They want to make him stop. When they talk, other police attack. They shoot the man with rubber bullets.
The woman runs away. She goes to hospital, but she is OK.
Difficult words: grab (take and hold), government (bosses of the country), rubber bullet (a rubber bullet will not kill you but hurt you).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do you think the man did this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos