Breakdance Becomes an Olympic Sport – level 2
Breakdancing is a form of street dance and it comes from the US. The African American community created breakdance in New York in the early 1970s. It quickly became very popular and during the 1980s, it started to go all over the world.
Now, officials announced that breakdance would become an Olympic sport and it would first appear at the Olympic games in Paris in 2024. The news made many break dancers very excited. An official report said that there were about a million break dancers in the world. Now, the breakdancing community will be a part of something even bigger.
Breakdance is not only about how strong you are. The judges at the Olympics will judge moves and spins, but they will also watch style, rhythm, and creativity.
Difficult words: breakdancing (the activity of breakdance), community (a group of people who have similar ideas or do similar things), spin (when somebody or something turns around quickly), creativity (when a person has new ideas and new ways of doing things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.