Breastfeeding Experiment – level 3
A video shows a social experiment created to see how passers-by react to breastfeeding in public spaces. Two actors came on a train in England to initiate the experiment.
One of the actors, a woman, started breastfeeding on the train which was met with criticism from a man sitting next to one seat from her. He, too, was an actor. He said that he felt ‘a bit uncomfortable about’ the breastfeeding and would prefer that the woman not do it in front of him. The actress did not care about his request, and their exchange started escalating.
After the seat between the two vacated, a passenger who witnessed the confrontation took the seat and told the man that he was acting quite aggressively. Not long after, a camera man came out and informed everyone of the experiment.
Difficult words: passer-by (a person who happens to be somewhere), initiate (start), next to one seat (there was one seat between them), exchange (a short conversation or argument), escalate (become more intense), vacate (become empty).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do women breastfeed in public in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.