Breivik at court – level 2
Anders Breivik is a Norwegian far-right extremist. In 2012, he killed 77 people in Oslo and Utoya Island.
Breivik is in a prison where he has a special three-room cell with a television and a computer. The prison allows him outside for exercise, but the killer says that he cannot see his family and he is suing Norway for inhumane treatment.
People set up a courtroom in Breivik’s prison. When Breivik arrived, he raised his arm in a Nazi salute. The court said that Breivik is not treated inhumanely.
Difficult words: cell (a prisoner’s room/rooms), sue (to say that somebody did something wrong and take him or her to court), inhumane (bad), treatment (how you treat people – behave toward them).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Anders Brevik’s prison?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.