Breivik at court – level 3
Mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik raises his right arm in a Nazi salute as he arrives in a makeshift courtroom set up inside his prison. The thirty-seven-year-old far-right extremist is taking a case against the Norwegian state, accusing it of inhuman and degrading treatment by keeping him in isolation.
Breivik is housed in a special three-room cell with a television and a computer and is allowed into a yard for exercise, but the killer argues that he’s being deprived of a family life and that the conditions of his imprisonment violate the terms of the European Convention on Human Rights.
It’s Breivik’s first public appearance since his trial in 2012 for murdering 77 people in Oslo and Utoya Island the previous year. He’s currently serving Norway’s maximum sentence of 21 years, though that can be extended.
The Attorney General’s office says there is no case to answer and says there’s no evidence that Breivik has suffered mental or physical problems as a result of prison conditions.
Difficult words: makeshift (only for a short time), degrading (making you feel bad), isolation (alone), deprive (to not allow to have), violate (to break), terms (the rules), trial (hearing at a law court), sentence (the punishment set by a court), attorney a (lawyer).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.