Brexit’s cost – level 3
According to economists, Brexit costs 120 billion dollars a year in lost output, with the effects to business investment and to the ability of companies to hire workers.
Brexit hit the economy faster than many experts expected. A report suggests that Britain’s GDP is 4% smaller than if it had stayed in the EU.
Business investments are 19% less than the G7 average, and experts blame Brexit uncertainty for the change. The report also estimates the EU has 370,000 fewer workers than before Brexit, and this figure is only partially offset by the arrival of non-EU citizens.
For many people, Brexit was always more than simple numbers and the precise cost isn’t easy to know with the Ukrainian crisis and the pandemic. However, Britain has a long way to make Brexit successful and to close the gap with its major peers.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the economic consequences of the Brexit referendum?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.