Bridge Collapses in India – level 3
In Bihar, India, raging floodwater caused a bridge to collapse with people on it, and we do not know what happened to all of those people. Some of them were able to climb up on the other side.
The floods have killed at least 78 people and devastated villages in Nepal. Thousands of people have fled their homes with their only suitcases. Since June, flooding and landslides killed over 250 people in India, Nepal, and Bangladesh.
Across South Asia, the monsoons have affected more than 16 million people. The people displaced by the weather are now at risk of diseases, starvation, and death.
Difficult words: raging (very strong), devastated (destroyed), monsoon (a season when it rains a lot), displace (force people or animals to move from where they live), starvation (not having enough food).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about the violence in the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos