Britain Leaves the EU – level 1
Lawmakers agree that Britain is going to leave the EU on January 31. This is part of the Brexit deal. They approve this last year. There is more discussion in the UK government. However, it is clear that Brexit happens soon.
After January 31, a special time starts. The UK must change its business. Until December 31, the UK must follow the EU trade rules. After this time, the UK starts free trade. The UK wants to do business with the EU without limits.
The EU officials say that this is not possible. They say that some things must change. They say that the UK needs more time for the change.
The British Prime Minister says that the UK does not need more time. He wants the UK to become free soon.
Difficult words: lawmaker (a person who makes the rules of a country), approve (to agree to something, to let something happen), free trade (when people can trade without a lot of rules or taxes to pay), limit (something that stops something else from happening).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.