Britain Leaves the EU – level 2
On Thursday, lawmakers agreed that Britain will leave the EU on January 31 under a Brexit deal which they approved last year.
Now, they are passing the laws to the Parliament’s upper chamber for more discussion and they expect that Brexit becomes law very soon.
After January 31, the UK starts a special time during which a lot of things must change. The UK must follow EU trade rules until December 31, but after this time, it will start a free trade deal.
The President of the European Commission said that the partnership between the UK and the EU cannot be the same and that it is not possible to reach a deal until the end of this year.
However, the British Prime Minister said that the UK does not need more time and that it must become free soon.
Difficult words: lawmaker (a person who makes the laws of a country), upper chamber (a part of a parliament or a government), free trade (trade between two countries without limits and barriers).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos