Britain’s youngest MP – level 2
At 25 years old, Keir Mather, a Labour Party member, won the Selby and Ainsty by-election, and he became the youngest MP in the House of Commons.
Mather grew up near Selby and he was always very active in politics. He set up a Labour group for young people. After studying history and politics at Oxford University, he worked as a researcher and adviser. Mather loves speaking and he supports Hull Kingston Rovers rugby league team. He sees unity in sports and wants to represent his community.
Mather’s mother is confident in his political future, and she says that her son could even become Prime Minister one day. Party leaders say that he has potential and understanding for the problems of his generation.
Difficult words: by-election (voting a person for the House of Commons between general elections), unity (feeling or being together as one), potential (the possibility of doing something in the future).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What issues does Mather feel most strongly about, and how will he use his platform as an MP to address them?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.