British couple win a lottery – level 1
Joe and Tess Thwaite come from Gloucester, UK. Last week, they win $230 million in a lottery. It is the highest win in history. Joe wakes up early in the morning. He gets a message that he wins. He is thinking about buying a bigger house.
He is waiting for his wife to wake up. When Tess wakes up, Joe tells her about the win. She doesn’t believe it. She thinks that it is a mistake.
Joe stops his work. Tess has a hairdressing salon with her sister. She must think about what to do.
The couple have two children. They want to travel. They will visit their family and friends in different countries.
Difficult words: lottery (when a person chooses some numbers on a ticket, and if these numbers win, the person gets money), mistake (a wrong or incorrect action), hairdressing salon (a place where a hairdresser cuts people’s hair).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.