British Prime Minister – level 2
Theresa May stepped down as UK’s prime minister, and Boris Johnson became the new prime minister. Last Wednesday on July 24th, he gave his first speech.
He thanked Theresa May for her service, and he spoke to Brexit naysayers. He said that Britain is going to leave the EU on October 31st and that there is going to be a new Brexit deal. He said that Britain is going to build a new partnership with Europe, and this partnership will stand on free trade and mutual help.
Johnson also promised to make hospitals better, put more police in the streets, and make schools great.
Difficult words: naysayer (a person who says nay – no to something), partnership (when you are partners with somebody), mutual (doing something together).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos