British Pubs and the Coronavirus – level 1
Lamb and Flag is a pub. It is in the center of Oxford, UK. The pub is more than 450 years old. Pubs are very popular in the UK. They are a part of history.
People go to pubs every day. They eat and drink there. They meet friends there, too. Then the coronavirus changes everything. Pubs and restaurants close. People feel lonely. Many pubs, restaurants and hotels have a lot of problems with money. They do not know if they will open again.
Lamb and Flag will close on January 31. People are sad. Many famous writers go to this pub in the past.
Oxford is a university town. Students go to pubs. Students bring money to pubs. Now pubs do not have any money. Some politicians ask the government for help.
Difficult words: pub (a place where people eat and drink beer), history (everything that happens in the past), lonely (when someone is sad because he has no friends).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos