British Pubs and the Coronavirus – level 2
Lamb and Flag is a pub in Oxford, UK, and it opened in 1566. Later, it moved to the city center, and it became a favorite place of famous writers like Tolkien and Lewis.
Oxford was a place where students and scholars lived, and pubs became a part of their lives. Students kept some pubs alive to this day, but the coronavirus pandemic changed everything.
Now, after 455 years, Lamb and Flag must close because of money. The coronavirus had an impact on many pubs, restaurants, and hotels, and people started to see how important these places are for them. Some politicians asked the government to give more money to pubs because they are an important part of British life and tradition.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.