British Pubs and the Coronavirus – level 3
Oxford´s 450-year-old Lamb and Flag pub is being forced to shut down because of the pandemic, much like many other businesses in the hospitality industry.
Lamb and Flag first opened in 1566, and in 1613, it was moved to its present location in the city center where it later became a favorite of authors like J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis. Despite its long tradition, the pub will close on January 31, as it´s not currently financially viable. It´s likely that it won´t be the only pub shutting its doors because of the pandemic.
According to the spokesperson for the Campaign for Real Ale, pubs are a very traditional part of British life, and they are a place to socialize. In the time of the coronavirus, people are beginning to appreciate the role of pubs in combating loneliness, and there have been calls for the government to provide sufficient support for historic venues to survive.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.