British tourists killed in Thailand – level 3
Thai police has released CCTV footage of a man they describe as the prime suspect in the murder of two young British tourists on the popular island resort of Koh Tao.
This short moment caught on camera appears to show an Asian man running down an empty street at 3:44 am. Around an hour later the man reappeared at a much slower pace.
Detectives are now questioning three migrant workers from Burma over the killing of 24-year-old David Miller and 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge, who were both discovered semi-naked on a beach yesterday having suffered serious injuries.
The couple had met for the first time on the island and a bloodstained hoe, believed to be the murder weapon, was found nearby.
Their bodies have now been taken to the capital, Bangkok, for forensic analysis and are expected to be returned to their families soon after that.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), pace (speed), semi- (half), bloodstained (covered with blood), hoe (long-handled gardening tool with a thin metal blade), forensic (study of something or someone to find out what happened).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.