Buildings survive demolition – level 1
In Glasgow, there are six tower blocks. Around 5,000 people live in them. Glasgow is a city in Scotland.
These tower blocks are old. People want to bring them down. They put bombs in the blocks.
The bombs explode. Four tower blocks are gone. Two blocks are too strong. The bombs do not destroy them completely.
Difficult words: tower block (a tall modern building of offices or flats), destroy (to break something into many small pieces).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these buildings?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos