Bulletproof rooms in US schools – level 3
As the fight for stricter gun laws in the United States continues after the latest school tragedy, an Alabama security company creates bulletproof safe rooms that will protect children from the terror of school shootings.
Nationwide calls for stricter gun control laws haven’t been effective, and companies aren’t waiting for lawmakers. KT Solutions has developed a collapsible bulletproof shelter that can be installed inside classrooms. Kevin Thomas came up with the design after last year’s shooting in a school in Uvalde, Texas. The rapid-deploy safe room is set up in the corner of a classroom in as few as 10 seconds and it can be expanded. One shelter costs more than 50,000 dollars and it provides shelter against bullets in an active-shooter situation.
According to Gun Violence Archive, there have been more mass shootings than days so far this year. Despite the innovations, Thomas says that his design isn’t a permanent solution to the gun epidemic in the US and that it’s necessary to fix the problem rather than its symptoms.
Difficult words: collapsible (an object that can be folded into a small space), bulletproof (designed to resist bullets going through), permanent (lasting for a long time or forever).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think should be done to address the gun epidemic in the US?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos