Burkina Faso president quits – level 2
Last week, a coup happened in Burkina Faso. A military group took control over the country, and on Sunday, President Paul-Henri Damiba left his role.
Captain Ibrahim Traoré became the new leader, and he asked the government to quickly solve the country’s problems. The number of attacks by Islamist groups increased in recent months, and the situation in the country was getting worse. Many problems are happening in many areas, from security to healthcare.
Traoré agreed with Damiba to protect his soldiers and him, but on Sunday, Damiba left the country to neighboring Togo. This coup was already the second coup this year, and the ninth coup since Burkina Faso became independent from France in 1960.
Difficult words: coup (a quick and violent change of government), security (safety from attacks or danger), independent (with your own government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos